Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Spontaneous Adventures Didn't Disappoint

            I’ve been putting off writing my blog all evening, I’m easily distracted and have been listening to music all night trying to figure out how to put this past weekend into words. It overall turned into a really good weekend for pretty much just winging it and having nothing planned, including our train, which was booked three days in advance.
            After five hours on two different trains I arrived in Budapest, Hungary along with 9 other classmates. Laughing to myself a little when we arrived at our hostel because I described last weeks hostel in Prague as a “little sketchy”. The Grandio Party Hostel had shoes and bras hanging from the trees and vulgar, nasty phrases written all over the walls. The hostel definitely had a lot of character to it that’s for sure, but I wouldn’t have wanted to stay anywhere else. The people were hilarious, super welcoming and helped us out a lot with trying to find things to do. On Friday night we decided to join the pub crawl that our hostel had going on which turned out to be a lot of fun and ended up hanging out with some Americans for a good part of the night. The nightlife in Europe has yet to disappoint with cheap drinks and my lovely friends that make going out way more fun, I don’t think America will be able to compete.
Our lovely hostel

            All day Saturday we wandered around the city sight seeing, shopping, or in my case window shopping (ballin’ on a budget) and enjoying the beautiful weather! With absolutely nothing planned for our night we went back to our hostel to get ready for dinner and so we could get Wi-Fi to find plans and luckily I found a wine tasting on the Danube River for super cheap and definitely worth it for seven glasses of wine and a perfect view of the city lit up at night. I was really happy with how our well our spontaneous nights were going!
Wine tasting on the river :)


            We’ve heard from everyone that has mentioned Budapest that you must go to the thermal baths while you’re there. I was a little skeptical at first on how these baths would be, but we went to Széchenyi thermal baths and had so much fun. They were pretty much just big pools indoor and outdoor, supplied by two thermal springs, the best part about it was there were no little kids running around and splashing water! You could get massages and pedicures inside of the buildings as well for not very expensive. It was a perfect last day in Budapest soaking up the sun and even getting a little color, which I’ve been dying to do since I got to Europe. For dinner we went to a cute little pasta place that had some of the best pasta I’ve had and was pretty cheap, which was an added bonus! After dinner we went and got some ice cream and walked around until we found the bar that we had free drinks to! Probably one of the strangest and largest bars I’ve been to, it had 25 separate rooms, 6 different bar areas, and 7 music venues.
The thermal baths


            It’s so crazy to me that I can wake up in the morning in one country and by the afternoon I’m in a totally different country, with a different language being spoken, and a different currency being used. Can’t wrap my mind around how amazing this experience has been for me, I’ve learned so much in the short month that I’ve been here. Even though I miss my family and friends back home I keep wishing time would slow down because I’m not anywhere near ready to start working three jobs when I get home and having actual responsibilities. So for now I’ll just enjoy being as carefree as possible!
Photography by the wonderful Kassidy McConville!

No comments:

Post a Comment